Form 24G / Overview :
The Pay and Accounts Office (PAO)/ District Treasury Office (DTO)/ Cheque Drawing and Disbursing Office (CDDO) are required to file Form 24G as per Income-tax Department Notification no. 41/2010 dated May 31, 2010. In case of an office of the Government, where tax has been paid to the credit of Central Government without the production of a challan associated with deposit of the tax in a bank, the PAO / CDDO / DTO or an equivalent office (herein after called as AO in this document) government is required to file Form 24G.
Form 24G is to be furnished only in electronic form.
A unique seven digit Accounts Office Identification Number (AIN) shall be allotted by the Directorate of Income Tax (Systems), Delhi, to every AO. Each AO will be identified in the system by this number.
Each DDO will be identified in the system by a Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number (TAN). This number is allotted by Income Tax Department.
Every AO shall furnish one complete, correct and consolidated Form 24G every month having details of all type of deduction / collection viz. TDS-Salary / TDS-Non Salary / TDS-Non Salary Non Residents / TCS.
Every Form 24G shall be prepared in accordance with the data structure prescribed by the Income Tax Department (ITD).
The contents of Form 24G should be as follows :
- » Details of the AO filing Form 24G (AIN, name, demographic information, contact details).
- » Category of AO (Central / State Government) along with details of ministry / state.
- » Statement details (month and year for which Form 24G is being filed).
- » Payment summary; nature of deduction wise (TDS – Salary /TDS Non-salary / TDS – Non-salary Non-resident / TCS).
- » DDO wise payment details (TAN of DDO, name, demographic details, total tax deducted and remitted to the Government account (A.G. / Pr.CCA).
- » DDOs which are associated with the AO. If the DDO wants to add/delete or update details of DDO, same should be mentioned in the statement.
AO can prepare the statement either using his own software or using the Form 24G Preparation Utility developed by NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited (NSDL) and freely available at Tax Information Network (TIN) website (www.tin-nsdl.com) or ITD website (www.incometaxindia.gov.in). You can click here to download the Form 24G Preparation Utility.
Once the statement is prepared, the AO shall validate the same by using File Validation Utility (FVU) developed by NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited (NSDL) and freely available at Tax Information Network (TIN) or ITD website. You can click here to download the Form 24G FVU.
The statement can be furnished in Compact Disk (CD) at any of the TIN-Facilitation Centers (TIN-FC) managed by NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited (NSDL) (list available at Tax Information Network (TIN) or ITD website) along with Form 24G Statement Statistics Report (generated through File Validation Utility), duly signed by the AO.
Where the DDO and AO are same, the statistics report shall be counter signed by his superior officer.
Once Form 24G is accepted by the TIN-FC, it will issue a provisional receipt with a unique number (Provisional Receipt Number) to the AO as a proof of submission of the statement.